My easy sausage rolls with hidden vegies - shhh!

The recipe for these TASTY sausage rolls is one I devised myself when my karate kid started to go off his vegies at that difficult 2-3year old bracket... It's a family favourite and you'll always find a batch in my freezer for weekday lunches, parties and weekend dinners (I know, but sometimes we get home late and these are a great healthy whip up - and the fact that I know they're packed with vegies makes me feel better about it...)
Tasty Sausage Rolls

Ingredients
500g lean beef mince
1 carrot finely grated (the finer the better)
1 zucchini finely grated
1 onion finely grated
1 egg
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup barbeque sauce
pinch salt and pepper
1 pack (6 sheets) supermarket frozen puff pastry

Method
1. Mix all your ingredients together in a bowl - I find you really need to get your hands dirty for this one to get everything really well mixed and get those vegies hidden.
2. Lay out your sheets of puff pastry and using a sharp knife cut them in half to create 2 rectangle shapes from each sheet. Best done while pastry is still a little frozen.
3. Roll small handful of meat mixture between your hands to make a sausage shape about the thickness of a thin sausage and lay your sausage shape along the long side edge of a cut sheet. (It's a good idea to do this for all the mixture and pastry before you start rolling to make sure you don't end up with leftovers of either).
4. Brush pastry edges with a small amount of milk to make the edges stick together once rolled and carefully roll up the meat filled pastry to make one long sausage shape.
5. Repeat this process until you've used up all of your meat mixture and pastry and then cut through the rolls at intervals to create party sized sausage rolls or regular sized ones. 
6. Finally brush your rolls with milk to help them go golden and bake in a moderate oven for about 15-20 minutes or until golden.

As I mentioned, I freeze these quite successfully as long as they are separated with freezer sheets.

1 comment:

  1. Mr 5 has been asking me to make sausage rolls! Thanks for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for visiting.x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...