Read to me.

So turns out it isn't just my blog I've been neglecting. Let me explain...

This week I finally dragged myself along to Hugh's kindy reading groups for the first time in forever - seriously, it's been weeks (I say weeks because I feel a bit bad about it but it's probably been more like a month or so... okay two...). It had been so long that I'd forgotten the names of the groups and even some of the kids! Rude! 

The glaringly obvious thing that I noticed, was how well some of the kids are suddenly reading! I chatted to a couple of mums and they mentioned that they all read with their kids every day for at least 15 minutes. Hmmmm - needless to say at this point that I don't do that. One also told me very gently that she reads with Hugh in groups and he could be doing better.... Not in a bad way - she was so PC about it. I really wasn't offended at all, just horrified. Cue competitive nature.

Now in my defense, I find he really resists doing anything schoolwork related after school - and by that time of the day I'm exhausted and a little pre-occupied trying to achieve all the things I still haven't done for the day - like dinner!

But we started last night. He was super tired and really struggled. We put the book away and did some more at breakfast this morning. A thousand times better when he was fresh! I am determined to get him back on track. Oh the pressure! If I don't put in the effort with him now and he gets left behind in kindy with his basic reading skills how will he ever go as he gets older! 

Isn't it interesting how much you learn about yourself once you have kids? I was the same with my own homework when I was a kid. I'd do the barest minimum that I knew I could get away with until someone pulled me up on it. Then I'd lift my game, make an effort and do well. I don't really want to continue that pattern now - not when it's going to effect my childs future... It's time. Bad Mummy is now BANISHED... Wish me luck!

What do you do with your kiddos? Are you big readers? If they're in school do you do much homework? Please tell me there's someone out there as slack a parent as me!!!!

Here's a great little list of excellent books for reading with your wee ones. They're all classics. Notably absent is Roald Dahl though - for this age group he is THE BOMB. A fave in our house - when mummy bothers to read to them... x


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for some other magnificent article. Where else could anyone get that type of information in such a perfect approach of writing?
    I have a presentation subsequent week, and I'm at the look for such info.
    Also visit my weblog - cigarettes online

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for visiting.x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...