Cheese & Bacon Scrolls

Today I had a pang of guilt about offering sandwich options for lunch. Being the weekend I thought I should really make a bit more of an effort. Sooooo, this is what we had!


I found the recipe in an old Donna Hay Kids issue and adapted it. The kidlets gave them a double thumbs up and they were super easy to make and so delicious I wished I'd made more.

You'll need
3 1/2 cups (525g) plain flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk
3/4 cup (180ml) milk
1 1/2 cups cheese grated
250g diced bacon
1 egg lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 200C (400F). Place the flour baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and gradually add the milk and buttermilk stirring with a butterknife until well combined. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and kneed until smooth. Roll the dough out to a 30cm square. Top with half the cheese, the bacon and then the rest of the cheese.Roll to enclose the filling. You should be left with a rather fat type of pastry sausage. Cut into slices around 2cm each and place together on a lined baking tray cut sides up. Brush with egg mixture and bake for 25minutes.

Note - If you don't have any buttermilk on hand (I didn't) you can substitute with 2/3cup of milk and a good teaspoon of white vinegar mixed together and left to stand for 5 minutes before adding it to your  mixture.



2 comments:

  1. Like, Yum! I've made these before using the redimade pampus puff pastry but I think I'll give these a go! Thanks for the recipe!
    x KL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let me know how they go! I made another batch yesterday and added some tomato passata as well which just elevated them to family favourite snack status...

      Delete

Comments make my day! Thanks for visiting.x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...