My "big kahuna" project...

Isn't it lovely? I've been pining for one of these for an age. You can get them on eBay in auctions starting at 1c. Yup. A cent my friends! Though they rarely go much shy of a grand in the end. Which is a smidge out of my league for a gratuitous piece of furniture that I don't really need at this stage... Which is what led me and my trusty paintbrush to pursue other options...


Much to my friends' and family's horror, I snapped this baby up for a meagre $90! It's 2m wide and even taller than that! And as big as it is - it's even uglier than it is large. Yes, I admit it. It's beyond unattractive. Worse still, it's not even timber. And even worse than that - it had LED strip lighting inside the top half of it.... Enough said. It was sold to me as timber but that little eBayer needs a short lesson in construction materials because when a surface is cold and hard like that, all the fake grain in the world isn't going to change the fact that that puppy is some kind of plastic/laminate. My dear friend lovingly named this project "the big kahuna" - and that is no understatement.

After the panic subsided, I hit the hardware and picked up a supersized tin of White Knight Grip Lock. Awesome stuff. It should be called "The Primer That Sticks To Anything!" 

Two weekends later....


It's not exactly what my wee heart desires, but it's better than no storage at all. And for a $90 outlay plus the paint it's not too bad at all! I just need to put some nicer handles on it and touch up all the scrapes my lovely husband added when he was putting the doors back on...

Isn't it just amazing what a difference a coat of paint can do?
Incidently, I did remove the LED lights...;) x


2 comments:

  1. Wow what a transformation! It looks great. I have a number of bits of furniture waiting for such a transformation...might have to get into it this weekend...thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Thanks for visiting.x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...